Tuesday, December 13, 2011

HW 10

One of the more interesting things I learned about this semester was RFID tags. They are tags that generate radio frequencies to help the user track assets. RFID tags are unique because they have so many different uses. In a case study I read about how they where implemented in the 2008 Olympics. The tags where placed on tickets and eliminated ticket fraud during the games. The tags where also used to track food containers for the athlete’s. This ensured that no one got sick or deviated to much from their routine diet. One newsworthy source for RFID tags the company Teijin. They are about to implement a tag that is water resistant. They are going to market their tags for Hotel as a shelf management system. Hotel owners could place the tags on towels and guests will no longer walk out with towels as they leave. In my professional life I could see the tags being built into cell phones so people can easily swipe and use their phones as credit cards, or other types of readers.

Another area that interested me was the Bluetooth technology. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless connection between to mobile devices. Bluetooth is primarily used in cell phones, and other mobile devices such as iPhone’s and blackberry’s. One popular use for Bluetooth is hooking it up to a car stereo and having the recipients of the call talk through the speakers. One really cool function for Bluetooth is coming from a company called Bluetoothon. They are a company that specializes in proximity advertising through Bluetooth. When the users walk within range an advertiser can send them a message. This message could be coming from a nearby store reminding someone of a merchandise sale. For the future I think it will be cool to have a bluetooth server at my house. I could set it to send messages to my phone to remind me to do things when I get home, such as homework or to walk the dog.

http://www.rfidnews.org/2011/12/13/teijin-commences-launch-of-rfid-digital-shelf-management-system

http://www.bluetoothon.com/bluetooth%20advertising%20marketing%20news.html

No comments: