Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Google Docs - Allison Souza

Not too long ago I came across Google Docs. I had been logging into my Gmail account and a message popped up asking if I would like to upload a presentation through Google Docs. I clicked no, but didn’t really look into what this meant. I assumed it had something to do with uploading documents.
Looking at the Google Docs website I have found that this program is one that is free.  It has become obvious to me, as well, that this is something that is extremely convenient as well. I can assume, for certain, that this tool is going to be a hit for students, business people, teachers and anyone who works with any type of document. This program is great because it allows you to access your documents from anywhere. For example, if you upload a spreadsheet or power point in your bedroom at home you can still access this information in your school’s library. One of the most exciting parts of this new program or software is the fact that it allows real time collaboration meaning you can get work done more quickly. The collaboration aspect of this program also allows users to send comments to each other detailing what it is they may need to share with their teammate. An example of this is shown below:


               

Another convenient function that this program offers is the ability to print things through “cloud printing” on your mobile device. A picture of this is depicted below:




This whole concept of printing through a mobile device is very interesting to me. My assumption would be that the mobile device would connect to a wireless printer, but I am not completely positive about this. Another mobile device focus for Docs is the fact that Google has developed an app for Android phones for quicker more convenient use of this program. Through your mobile device you are able to edit your documents, which is great for the modern student or professional.






This program is also great because it allows many different options and themes when using the forms software of this program.



This program seems like it would be extremely helpful for me presently as a student and in the future when I am a professional. Now that I know so much more about this program I can guarantee that I will be using it in the near future. This program makes technological life between both one user and multiple users much more effective and accessible.

1 comment:

Jon Natale said...

I agree this is something that looks to be very convenient. Having the ability to upload documents, presentations, or spreadsheets online to allow for other people to be able to access seems like a great idea. This would help keep people on task because they no longer have any excuses and at the same time keep things organized and always at a click of a mouse. That is the best part there is no more forgetting your part because everything is together online and organized on top of it. This seems to be Google's way of being the innovator. Google Docs is online storage just like iCloud and the cloud storage. It's the wave of the future to have online storage systems and less need for memory in the computer itself. This opens the door for smaller computers and most likely the jump to tablets.